Jamie - East moriches, New York

This I believe that if you have a goal in life, then go for it. I’m a high school student, who wants to grow up to be a novelist. I know a couple of kids that want to grow up to be actresses and soccer players. In Fact, one of the students in my school is an actress. That got me thinking, here is a girl, who dreamed of being an actress all her life and now she is. There is a boy in my grade who is a great soccer player and that is his goal for his future. Perhaps if I try I can become a novelist.

When I was about 12, I knew I had a passion for writing, when I came up with a story using me and my friends as soldiers in war, and our middle school as a Base. My friends and family, especially my parents, were very interested in the story and asked me when the next chapter was going to be done. Soon after, all I did was write stories.

My idol happens to the famous Harry Potter author J.K Rowling. She has a brilliant imagination and her Harry Potter stories keep me on edge. I read Tony Hawk’s “I believe this…” and I was inspired by his story. He followed his dream of becoming a Pro Skater, even when he was told his future would not be much by some of his teachers. He stayed strong and followed his dreams through until he became what he wanted to become.

Following my dreams, that’s what I want to do. People don’t understand that their goals are right there in front of them and some people just don’t see that. My family told me that if I want to be a novelist then go for it, don’t let anything or anyone stand in your way. So here I sit pouring my goal into this essay and I hope that by doing this, it will keep me going until I see my first book in book stores everywhere.