Linda - Fredericksburg, Virginia

A Friend Can Make the Difference

I believe in the power of friendship. I believe that a single friend can make the difference in someone’s life.

It seems as though the people you need most come to you when you feel as though you can not go any further. For me it happened in middle school: I met the Lunch Bunch.

Quiet, shy, and preferring the comfort and company of book rather than that of people, I was often thought a snob and people avoided me. In truth, I was felt as though I was always being compared to a Barbie Doll and wasn’t able to measure up. Because of this, my friends could be counted on one hand.

I worked every homeroom in the school’s library and had made some acquaintances with whom I would talk of books they had checked out and favorite authors. As sixth grade melted away and I entered the seventh I began to notice a certain group of people who were often in the library during homeroom. I had talked to them before when they had checked out books or needed help looking something up. They were always kind to me and did not seem to notice anything different about me. I was wary at first; still hurting from the way people had judged me. Eventually their sincerity won me over and the lot of us became friends.

I found that, during lunch, I was able to return to the library where my new friends often assembled and joined them. Our group was called the Lunch Bunch as a joke, and the name stuck. The Lunch Bunch was inseparable. I had found the power of friendship.

Lyricist Stephen Schwartz wrote in one of his latest Broadway musicals “Because I knew you, I have been changed for good.” Because I met the Lunch Bunch, my life has changed dramatically. And because I know what it is like to be without a friend, I believe that I should strive to be a friend to others. For all I know, I may really change someone for good.