Emily - San Luis Obispo, California

Today’s society places significant meaning on exterior appearances. What you wear, your hairstyle, or how thin you are can determine how you are treated by many you meet. I like to look beyond the external appearance to find the beauty that can’t be bought. While all the attractiveness a person may possess on the outside can come at any price, the true beauty within a person can only came from inside, and bought at no cost. I believe that true beauty someone possesses doesn’t have to cost a thing.

A good friend of my, Brittney xx, is one of the most beautiful young women you will ever come across. What makes her even more unique is that her gorgeous exterior is matched by the amazing goodness that is inside. Brittney is kind, genuine, and pure, and those positive characteristics emulate from inside her, making the exterior even more beautiful. Country music artist, Kenny Chesney, said it best, “she don’t know she’s beautiful,” and Brittney truly doesn’t realize how the rest of the world views her beauty. Her viewpoint about herself and her outward appearance is so rare, but more should look to Brittney’s views as a positive way to live their life.

For all those that believe their outward appearance is all they have, it is important to remember one important fact. Outward beauty is fleeting and last only a short while, while inner beauty shines forever. A Buddhist philosopher, Daisaku Ikeda, once said that, “a woman’s true beauty lies not in her appearance, but deep within her.” It is important for all women to remember that inner beauty leads to attraction between individuals. Ikeda also said that, “true, lasting attraction to another human being comes from an inner beauty and confidence that shine from within.” When your beauty comes from within and you are confident in yourself, others are drawn to your presence.

Next time you are in a situation that allows you to meet new individuals, don’t pass by those that may not display our society’s conventional form of beauty. Give that new acquaintance a few moments of your time, and you might be surprised by what you find. A genuine and kind person that can add value to your life may have been found. Looking past the exterior appearance will lead to finding the true beauty within an individual that can not be bought at any cost.