Alixis - Oakdale, Minnesota

I believe it’s important to be smart and beautiful. Smart people have always been around, you know the type; they look sort of nerdy and geeky, wear glasses, look unkempt. However there haven’t always been smart people who are also beautiful at the same time. I have been called a nerd, and I have been called a dumb blonde, but not at the same time. So why is it that people base you on how you look?

I believe it pays off to be both smart and beautiful, and in that exact order. Even though they’re a lot of smart and beautiful or handsome people now a days nobody really is aware of it. The reasons for this are because girls and guys who are beautiful don’t want to be called and categorized as nerds, dorks, or geeks. They want to be popular. However it would be nice to be both, it is possible to be both it is just a matter of how you see yourself, and present yourself among others. I think the reasons behind the way we think are because of the shows we see on television, for example there is the show beauty and the geek, which proves that beautiful people can be smart if they apply their mind to it, and if you’re dorky you can be attractive if you work on it as well. Thankfully nowadays there are also shows for us to watch like Veronica Mars, Veronica is both beautiful and very smart she is a detective and goes to college. This I believe is a good influence to young people so they can feel secure in their bodies and minds, knowing that it is ok to be both, beautiful and smart, not just being stuck as one or the other. I know I can and want to be both.

On one hand, some people believe that they aren’t as beautiful or smart as other kids who think they are popular. What is popularity really based upon? It all depends on how you look at it, and of course how smart you really are. Wouldn’t you rather be classified as the popular smart kid, rather than the popular dumb kid? What I mean by dumb is the way you act, acting stupid to be funny or cute by other people. You should always be able to act like yourself, and who you are and should be is smart and beautiful in your own way, not based on how the other kids look at you. Be smart for you, act smart for you and with this you should go along way. You have a life ahead of you and you should apply yourself and make the most of your mind not depending on how others treat you.

You should have goals and dreams of what you want and where you are going to be, theses goals and dreams are yours alone and you are the only one who can achieve them. With this in mind you should remember don’t base your personality and looks on what others want you to be. Be yourself and be all you can be: Smart and Beautiful. By smart, I mean apply yourself in school go above and beyond teachers and peers expectations. By beautiful be yourself and don’t pretend your somebody your not, everyone is beautiful in their own way.

So I say, “Be smart and beautiful and your dreams may come true”