Cheri - Duluth, Minnesota

I believe in chocolate chip cookies.

My family has a tradition of baking chocolate chip cookies together. Each person must contribute just enough to make the perfect cookie. My mom measures the ingredients, my eldest brother pours the ingredients in, my second brother stirs the batter passionately, and my dad is the designated cookie sampler. My job? I regulated the chocolate chips. Alright, so that’s just a fancy name for sneaking the chips when my mom’s back is turned, but someone has to make sure their weren’t to many added! Over the years our designated tasks became more and more challenging as mom believed us ready, and pretty soon my job description included not only the certified chocolate chip regulator, but official cookie shaper. Sure my cookies resembled little alien blobs next to my mom’s geometrically perfect circle cookies, but my family always insisted that my interesting shaped cookies were even tastier that way.

As us kids grew, we left behind tricycles, nap time, snow fort building, play time, and even climbing trees, but we never grew out of cookie time, we just began baking for a whole new stage in life. Our cookies were omnipresent for romantic partners, high school graduations, eighteenth, twenty-first, twenty-second birthday parties, and house warming gifts. I have no doubt that the most delicious cookies in the world will be there when college graduations come around, weddings, and baby showers. And most of all, when one of us is homesick, mom’s recipe will come to good use.

Ever since I can remember, I’ve always compared the cookie making process to that of a happy family. Just like each person must chip in (pardon the pun) to create the perfect chocolate chip cookie, each person must become involved in the process of building happy, successful family.

So I guess it’s not really the chocolate chip cookie I believe in, but the family togetherness it brought about. The cookie is just a sweet silver lining of something so much more wonderful.