Melissa - Fort Atkinson, Wisconsin

Arby’s Theory

I believe that Arby’s has an elaborate marketing plan regarding their fries. When a person orders regular fries from Arby’s they always get at least one curly fry, when they order curly fries they get one regular fry. At first glance it may appear to be nothing more than the fact the fryers are next to each other, however, I believe this goes much deeper.

Arby’s is trying to get customers to experience new things. To some people, ordering curly fries may be too much of a chance since they are used to sticking to the tried and true. By giving them one fry, it gives them the opportunity to discover that they truly enjoy the product and will perhaps give them the courage to order the curly fries in the future. Not only does Arby’s do this to increase diversity in the fry orders, but to increase the confidence in their clientele to try new things in other areas of their lives.

The lone regular or lone curly fry always tastes amazing. The new taste is always superior to the repeated taste of the other fry. People love to fall into routines; routines are safe, comfortable, and easy. But once a person tries something new, they may find that they have been missing out. The new “fry” or activity in ones’ life may be more satisfying than all the other aspects of ones’ life.

New experiences are exactly that, new. As people go through life they are faced with new situations. Entering school provides new changes for children. Many people need to be helped along the way, parents help push their children to get to the next level so they can grow and develop to their full potential. Once people reach adulthood it becomes easier to become set in ones’ ways. There no longer is a parent forcing you to apply for college, sometimes people need a push to change their ways. I believe Arby’s is trying to help push people into new situations, through their seemingly unimportant fry.

Many people never try new things because they are afraid of negative consequences. Arby’s tries to gently push people out of their comfort zone to try the unknown. At some point everyone most do something they have never done before. Whether they apply for a new job, make the decision to get married, having children, or moving to another state, people must make choices which involve intimidating new situations. The world would be stagnate if no one ever tried new things. If no one entered into new relationships we would have no children, meaning our society would not exist-or if other methods of child-rearing were established our society would be at the least extremely different. New experiences are a part of life, and I believe Arby’s is doing its small part to remind customers of the fact that even though new can be scary, it can be extremely rewarding.