Amanda - Fort Wayne, Indiana

I believe it is in serving others that true happiness can be found. Just last week I volunteered for an evening at a local men’s shelter. While I was there I helped serve a hot meal, cleaned their chapel, and took the time to carry on conversations with the men housed there. Many of these men walked in right off the street, many have a history of drug and alcohol abuse. However, as I spoke with them I could see the joy in their eyes. They were so thankful for a second chance at life, for a warm meal and a bed to sleep on, out of the freezing cold.

Regardless of their past, or what their future may hold, I spoke to them with a caring heart and a loving spirit. By doing this I learned to be truly thankful for the smallest blessings in life; such as a loving family and the ability to make hearty meal and bath daily in warm, running water. It is through serving these men that I realized I take life for granted; a characteristic about me that I wish to change.

It is through serving others that I have found happiness. I have learned that serving others brings me great happiness because they can teach me things that I may not have learned otherwise. Others have shown me a different perspective on life, and of being prosperous. Through serving others I have learned that trying to gain wealth and a good education are not my true sources of happiness, but rather serving people and making a difference in someone’s life is really what makes me happy.