Thomas - Greensboro, North Carolina

I Believe in Wearing Sandals

I so much would like to write about my belief in Humanity and doing what is right to each other.

I would love to write about my belief in the democratic socialism of Eugene Debs and Norman Thomas. As a trade union member I would love to write about my belief in how the union movement is a vital part of any just society – a society I very much desire. The social justice brand of unionism embodied by the Reuther brothers, Walter and Victor has certainly been something I believe in supporting. As the Union Label Chair for my local labor council, I would very much like to write about how important it is to look for the union label on products, when they are available.

I am sure the Pastor at the Lutheran Church of which I am a member might suggest I choose to write about my beliefs as they relate to the Church. I would very much desire to be moved to write an epistle on the importance of looking after the environment and taking care of the 3R’s – reduce, reuse and recycle.

As a high school Physics teacher, I would not feel it a waste of time to espouse my belief in the need to make science class fun with eye-catching demonstrations that look very dangerous, but when done correctly are well grounded in science and safe.

I Believe in Wearing Sandals

I just can’t write about any of those beliefs. My real belief is in wearing sandals. Before my belief in the wearing of sandals I had foot and leg pain nearly every day at the end of teaching school. For the last two years of sandal wearing life I have been pain free. In the middle of winter my students and co-workers often inquire about frostbite or getting sick. I know a greater power – my sandals – will look after me (and honestly and more importantly I am not outside that much anyway.) I am not sure if the fact my feet can breathe better, or the soles provide better support than my former footwear. I just know how much better my feet and legs feel at the end of the day than they have in years.

Deciding to make sandals my footwear of choice has had a profound and lasting impact on my life. Comfort and energy are up at the end of the day– pain and sluggishness are down. For this I believe in wearing sandals.