Marc - Manhattan Beach, California
Themes: purpose, work

I constantly ask myself, what is the one thing I truly want to accomplish? Why do I want accomplish it? Is it that important? To answer the last question, yes it is important. It is important to accomplish my goals in life because that is how I better myself and everyone around me. Not only do I better myself and the people around me, I also get a sense of self satisfaction and self fulfillment when I set a goal and achieve it.

In my sophomore year of high school I set a goal for myself that seemed unachievable. My goal was to be a part of a drum corps known as The Santa Clara Vanguard. Drum corps is a unique arts activity that is centered on cultivating social responsibility, strong ethics, and the development of life skills through teamwork, dedication, and the pursuit of excellence. Members spend countless hours rehearsing and perfecting a single marching band type show throughout the summer. For me, being a part of The Santa Clara Vanguard is to be the embodiment of class and excellence. For three years, my one goal was to be a part of this organization, and I worked harder for that than I had ever worked in my life.

Last year, my hard work paid off. I made it through the audition process and into this amazing group. The feeling of self satisfaction and self fulfillment were overwhelming. I felt as if I had reached my full potential, and that is the most satisfying feeling I have ever had.

After my three months of national tour were done, I came back a different person. People noticed a difference in me as soon as they saw me. I came back with more focus, discipline, and a desire to seek excellence in everything I did. .

A short while after I came back from my tour, I moved up to San Luis Obispo to start school at Cal Poly University. While at school, I started to get involved with a high school marching band program as a drumline teacher. As a teacher, I tried to pass on the same skills and qualities that I had acquired from my experiences. The kids responded very well to my approach and began demonstrating the qualities I tried to pass on to them. That was one of the best marching band seasons the school has ever had.

I pursued my desires and came away from my experiences a more responsible, confident, and mature person. I passed these qualities on to my students and inspired them to become better people as well. By pursuing my own dreams, I ultimately influenced a group of people to be better than they were before. I believe in following dreams, because only good can come from it.