Catherine - La Selva Beach, California

I believe in the number five. Just like a week has five days, the best rating has five stars, and a hand has five fingers, the best things come in packages of five. My best group of five is my friends.

The group started in junior high when I made my first set of four best friends. Five girls, all different, and yet all the same. Two played basketball, three played soccer, one was in drama, and one always had a boyfriend. Yet we were all best friends, and were known as “The Five” among our classmates.

The group dynamic worked perfectly. If arguments arose, the group would not spilt, but rather those not involved would intermediaries, trying to fix the situation. If anyone was ever depressed, she had her four best friends there, offering many different opinions, and always finding a way to end the sadness with laughter.

The junior high school days were full of innocence, and as high school came, the group dynamic changed. Two of my friends went their own ways, while us remaining stayed close. Time went on, and we soon met two other girls and we all become close. Why not three new friends? I don’t know. Like I said, I believe in five.

High school is a time to define who you are as a person, and I sincerely believe without those girls I would not be who I am today. One taught me not worry about the little things, another taught me to open up. One taught me generosity goes far, another taught me laughing cures all miseries. All these lessons define me, all four of the girls helping to shape my character.

Looking back on my friendships, I could not imagine having then any other way. When my boyfriend of a year and a half broke up with me, the girls brought me cookies. When my wisdom teeth were removed, the girls watched movies with me. When I was having a bad day at school, the girls ditched with me. These girls prove their love in every way, big and small, and their dedication as best friends should not go un-noticed. My parents reassure me of what good friends I have, and my response is always, “ I know, I love all four of them, I don’t know what I would do without any of my best friends.”

A single best friend is amazing and essential, but sometimes having only one friend’s opinion is not enough. Having two best friends works well, but often there are arguments pitting two against one. Having three best friends is almost as good as having four, but sometimes the even number splits the group into pairs, and the bond isn’t as strong. Five is the answer. Having four best friends allows for different opinions, different divisions within us, and always something to laugh about. I believe in the number five, because without five, I would not be as well rounded as I am today.