troy - san luis obispo, California

As I sit down to eat a well-balanced, nutritious dinner I look to my left as my roommate opens his bag of soggy, fattening and what looks like an inedible meal from Taco Bell. I simply ask him, “Are you serious, can you really eat that?” He replies, “It’s cheap and it fills me up, why not?” I bought vegetables, rice, and meat at the local supermarket for seven dollars and he spent the same amount of money at Taco Bell. My girlfriend and I go to the grocery store at least once a week and buy fresh meat, fish, cheese and bread along with pasta and numerous other healthy, nutritious foods to eat.

People today I believe are not going to the grocery store enough and eating out on a regular basis. Going to the grocery store and cooking your own food is pretty self-explanatory while going out to eat consists of eating fast food and other restaurants where you order and get your food in less than 5 minutes. Whether it is shear laziness or lack of culinary ability I believe going to the grocery store and cooking your own food outweighs eating out by substantial margins. Now most people would agree with me; that eating out is worse than going to the grocery store and cooking your own food, but people still tend to go out and eat horrific foods. A simple lesson from your mother, friend or TV show, or even following a cookbook can put you right in the game of making an extraordinary wonderful meal. I think if people got a routine down: to go to the store and pick out foods that you can make, come home and cook them, and eat with yourself, friends or loved ones, they would truly enjoy what they have accomplished.

Eating a meal that you have cooked yourself feels wonderful. You look at it, taste it, and say, “Wow did I really make this? Man I am a good cook!” Not only have you made it yourself, decreasing the chances of it being contaminated with hepatitis B, salmonella or the famous e-coli. You also get to eliminate the amounts of fat, sodium and other harmful substances that are found in places where you might eat out.

Now that you have made a fantastic meal at home it’s time to share it with someone you care about. Nothing is better than inviting a girl/boyfriend to a meal that you have prepared, not only will they be astonished at your hard work but you don’t have to drive them somewhere and pay the bill/tip!

Next time you think about getting in your car and heading on over to the nearest fast food, stop, think about how easy it is to go to the grocery store. Simply pick out a few healthy items that can make a very delightful and healthy meal. I know that you have it in you.