Kristina - San Luis Obispo, California

I believe that potatoes are the most versatile vegetable because they are cheap, easy, and there are so many ways to make them. You can make mashed potatoes, scalloped potatoes, baked potatoes, sweet potatoes, potato salad, potato bread, potato pancakes, potato skins, potato chunks are used when making stew, hash browns, potato chips, latka, and gratin. Sweet potatoes are used in tempura, and almost everyone has mashed potatoes at Thanksgiving. Its very simple to make potatoes, most potatoes require very little attention for example if you make a baked potato all you have need to do is put it in the oven and check it a couple times to see when it is done. For mashed potatoes all you need to do is boil the potatoes and then smash them up. For how much you can do with potatoes they are relatively cheap. Any college student could live off of potatoes especially because everyone needs starch in their diet. Potatoes also have fiber, which can protect against colon cancer. Potatoes can be cooked in a microwave oven and will still retain almost all of their nutritional value. Potatoes can be kept for long periods of time, if they are in a dark well-ventilated place. If you keep potatoes at too cold of a temperature it can cause the starch to turn into sugar which makes the nutritional value go down. Even if the potato starts to sprout or develop green areas all you have to do is trim it off. When you boil a potato it loses some of its nutritional value especially when they are boiled whole. If you microwave a potato it keeps the moisture in and that can mean less flavor. Potatoes are in my opinion the best vegetable ever and I love the fact that you can make them in so many different ways. Every way you make a potato is delicious and it is very hard to make a dish with potatoes that is bad.