Tracy - San Luis Obispo, California

One year, six months, two days and counting- this is the amount of time that has been stolen from my family members’ life after being admitted into the hospital in a coma from a biking accident. Riding down the street, a teenager home for the summer from his first year in college, suddenly thrown into the air from the impact of a drunk driver’s car hitting his bike.

I believe in living in the moment because you never know how long those moments will last.

A suicide note found on the desk- an apology note of sorts to anyone that might be upset from the loss. As if an apology will make everything ok. The girl that everyone assumed was content- popular, beautiful, what more could anyone want?

I believe in living in the moment because you never know when things are going to change.

“I’m sorry to tell you this, but your mother’s cancer has come back.” The worst news to hear as a freshman in high school- a new chapter in life unfolding in front of your eyes and the news that you have one less person to share it with. As the best friend, there’s nothing you can do but sit back and watch it happen. Frozen in a state of sympathy and loss.

I believe in living in the moment because moments can last forever.

A promise ring from Mike to Casie her junior year of high school. The couple that everyone just assumed was going to get married as soon as they were old enough to. Just to dinner, a movie, then drive home. The thought of a car crash after the movie in the rain that would kill Casie didn’t cross anyone’s mind at the time.

I believe in living in the moment because sometimes the moment is all you have.