Allison - Sacramento, California
Themes: family, love

My family and I are like a little army –an army of blonde people full of love, compassion, and numerous one-liners fighting for the happiness and well-being of one another. Growing up I didn’t realize we were unique, I thought we were the usual mold of a family, but we aren’t. What’s unique about us is that we are big. My parents have five children and I am the youngest. I was born when my oldest sibling, my only sister, was nineteen, my two oldest brothers were in high school and my other brother was four. I would not trade my family for anything because I believe in having a big family.

In all my twenty years in the world, I have had many experiences, both good and bad, and no matter what I always have someone to turn to who has been through whatever I’m experiencing to help me out. Whether it’s something small like what to write a paper on or something big like what kind of occupation I want to pursue after graduation I have a large pool of people to give me advice and help lead me to the correct decision.

Because of my big family and much older siblings I have many role models in my life. I am able to look up to my sister or either one of my brothers to help me decide what kind of person I want to be and in what direction I want my life to go. My biggest role model is my sister. She is a very successful woman and I try to model my every move after her, which is one of the reasons why I am attending the university I am. She set the mold for what kind of kid best fits our family and I try to live up to that mold every day.

During the summer after my sixth grade year, my Dad was diagnosed with cancer. Had it not been for my family I believe that getting through the experience would have been much more difficult. My Dad is the rock in our family and it was extremely hard for all us. I had all four of my siblings and my Mom to turn to when I needed a shoulder to cry on and someone was always by my Dad’s side to help him through the pain and the fight to win his battle with cancer. I believe that because of my big family my Dad was able to pull through and overcome this obstacle that had presented itself to him—he didn’t want to let us down and wasn’t ready to leave the love that we all share.

I believe in big families because of all of the love I share with mine. I would not be the same person I am today and would not be where I am if it wasn’t for all of the love and support I have been given by each of my many family members.