Heidi - San Luis Obispo, California

Sip, Stay Awhile

“For here or to go”, they would undoubtedly ask. “Oh for here, please”, my mother would say, eyes glowing in anticipation, and a smile ever-so pure. “Alright no problem, Pam it’ll be up in no time.” As a young girl I regularly tagged along with my mom on coffee shop afternoons. The ritual continued through my teens and young adulthood, all the while subconsciously teaching me the importance of taking time to mellow and enjoy… to mellow and enjoy anything and everything, which is why I believe in coffee “for here”.

No matter what the day brought- stress, bad news, or even too much to do, my mom always made time for coffee. Now I’m not talking coffee in a paper cup with a sleeve and solo top. I’m talking about a mug of steaming bean. I’m talking a mug (no top) that allows the steam to come swirling into the air. A mug that makes for a quite appetizing cup of joe. I’m talking about the ceramic mug that identifies the fact that you are going to sit and stay awhile.

As the young girl sitting with my mom in the coffee shop, I never understood exactly why she ordered that kind of cup- I, for one, liked the way they looked- but figured my mom used that kind because she found them easier to drink out of… or something like that. I guess I didn’t find reason to give it much thought.

Later, as a young adult sitting with my mom there in the coffee shop, I began to realize that my mom orders her coffee in a mug with the purpose of taking a time-out. She drinks her coffee from a mug because she wants to sit and enjoy the simple qualities that make life so rich.

Together, my mom and I enjoy the simple qualities a cup of coffee provokes, like belly laughs, the undivided attention of one another, and pure, meaningful eye contact. We enjoy all sorts of conversation, some rich with flavor, or steaming with excitement, and others bitter with sadness or frustration. Any thoughts we can grind out of our own, or each other’s minds come spilling onto the coffee table, as if needing to be heard. No matter what the conversation, coffee hour gives us a chance to sit, relax, slow, enjoy, and cherish.

Coffee “for here” allows us to sip on those ever-so-sweet qualities of life that so often get gulped without recognition.