Rebecca - Larwill, Indiana

When I was a little girl, my grandma, who happened to be the manager over the operating room of a local hospital, babysat me and my sister. She would take us in the operating rooms after hours and check temperatures and supplies, and she would let us go and see the new babies in the nursery-an obvious favorite of mine. From then on, I felt at home at the hospital, and it only seemed natural for me to pursue a career there. I kind of fell into nursing because nothing else really fit.

Therefore, when I decided to become a nurse, I wanted to help people, but I did not have a passion driving me toward my goal. This past summer, I was able to go on a mission trip to Haiti. It was there that I found my passion for nursing. I have never in my life encountered such tragic circumstances, and I have never in my life encountered such gracious, caring people. This is an experience that I encourage anyone with the chance to take; it will, undoubtedly, change your life.

As a nurse, I want to be able to say that I have made a difference in someone’s life. I want to do more than take blood pressures and pass medications; I want to serve the people in the community and the world that do not get served. I want to help those that everyone else is quick to over look and pretend do not exist. It is those people that are the most in need and also the most grateful to you for anything that you can offer them. I am not sure yet how I am going to use my nursing degree to make a difference in the community or the world. I will be waiting for God to show me the path and lead the way.