Daniel - San Luis Obispo, California

I believe that I will win the lottery. Not the instant ten dollar win, but the big one, the one that millions of lottery addicts seek every week when they pick their lucky numbers. Yes, that will be me, the guy standing in front of the 7-11 holding a giant sized check with millions of dollars printed on it, smiling next to my family and waving joyfully at the news cameras. What makes me so special that I will beat the 1 out of 416,000,000 odds of winning the grand prize? Nothing. My belief that I will win the lottery goes far beyond hope and luck, it’s the belief that my life was intended for something much greater than I expect it to be, and although I’m not sure what that something is, I never doubt the impossible from happening, even winning the lottery.

I haven’t lived an extraordinary life, however, my life has been filled with extraordinary people: my father, who was born under a bridge into a life of poverty, yet still grew up to be a successful financial planner and put five kids trough college, and my mother, a stay at home Mom who went back to school to pursuit her dream of becoming a schoolteacher, which she has been for the past six years. The combined perseverance of these two people has taught me never to dream too big, and never give in when life gets rough. Throughout my life, I have worked hard to fill my time to become the best in many different things: music, sports, student government, acting, and church. I have always dreamed of becoming the next Mozart, the next Heisman Trophy winner, the next President, the next Oscar winner, or growing to the next step in my faith. Although I’ve seen opportunities come and go to pursuit many of these things, I will always dream, because that’s the one thing my parents told me to never stop doing.

If it wasn’t for believing in the impossible, I would not be writing this essay for a prestigious college that I was told I didn’t have a chance of getting into. If it wasn’t for dreaming big, I would not be preparing for a summer working a prominent internship that will have an influential impact on my future career. And if wasn’t for realizing that my life was meant to be more than ordinary, I wouldn’t be spending a dollar a week for the chance of a life change. So I sit here with six numbers printed on a square piece of paper waiting to hear if they match up with six random white balls, because I believe I will win the lottery.