Sarah - Atascadero, California
Themes: parenthood

“You are the best mommy on the whole entire world!”

What loving mother hasn’t heard this before? To a child, his mother is the single most significant person in the center of his little world.

I believe in motherhood, the greatest, most important profession a woman can have. The gift that a mother is able to offer her child is one of her entire devotion. The submission is physical, mental, emotional, social, and financial—a mother sacrifices for her child nearly in all aspects of her life. But the rewards of love and attachment make all of those sacrifices very much worth it.

I will agree doctors and police officers and lawyers do a great deal to protect and help us, which is very vital to our society. Yet, a mother, in a way, is all three of these things, and more. More importantly, there is no one single person who has the opportunity to influence and educate another person the way a mother can.

On the other hand, there are mothers out there who are definitely lacking in maternal skills and support. These women often have severe hardship and struggle in their lives, for example, single parenthood, drug abuse, or medical problems. But even many of these moms find special ways to share themselves with their children. I doubt anyone of these mothers would pass up the opportunity to be able to spend more quality time with her child.

My own mother sacrificed her career, ambitions, and freedom to give me and my brother everything she is. At the time I was born, my mother had wonderful opportunities in her field of study and was still young to boot. But her dream deep inside was not these things; her dream was me, and even all of the sleepless nights that came with me. She gave up her career and her freedom in order to change my diapers, give me late night feedings, do my laundry, and worry every minute of my existence. She enjoyed her life with her child so much that, three years after I was born, she brought my brother into this world, to love and cherish as she did me.

With the understanding of all that my mother gave up for me, I still believe her life was richer because of it. Mothers are so important, so what could be more rewarding than experiencing it full time? My choice is to dedicate my life to my children, like my mother did.

A college degree or a career is not enough to convince me to forgo being a deeply involved mother. While these things can be important to many people, it is not what I desire most. I look forward to the first day I share with my first child, more so than even graduation.

I believe our mothers are the most important people in our lives—until we have our own children.