Sue - Ft Wayne, Indiana

I believe one person can make a difference. I have been that one person as a nurse. I have been the first person to arrive at the scene of a serious auto accident. I have been the person who suddenly has to do cpr in the mall. I have been the person who helped when no on else would. As a teacher, I have been the person that continued to believ in a student when everyone esle gave up. I have been the person that spend Saturday night helping a struggling student study when everyone else was partying. I have been told by these students who finally succeed how important it was to them that someone believed in them. I know I have made a difference.

I have also been the witness to others making a difference. As a teacher, I point out to students the examples all around them of people making a difference. Some are well known like Oprah or Mother Teresa but most are less well known. I have a coworker who is teaching me about real faith as she fights a battle against recurrent cancer. Another coworkers has quietly created one of the largest student organizations in the country but more importantly has created an environment for students to become leaders and grow. But the most profound and memorable experience I ever had was as a witness with a student. She proved to be a better nurse than all the more experienced nurses. She was assigned to a patient the regular staff didn’t want to care for. She cared for an older demented patient who had been restrained frequently to prevent a fall out of bed or self injury. She sang songs of his youth between reminiscences about his former life as a farmer. She was the only one to get him to eat, smile and even mutter single words. The regular staff kept peeking in the room to see what was going on. They were amazed and I was so proud. I could only imagine would she would be able to do after she graduated. I know one person can make a difference!