si - san luis obispo, California
Themes: morality

For the believers, it is enough to accept on faith alone that the human soul does not die when the body does, and that God exists. Faith in God provides believers with a set of moral virtues to live by. These virtues, when properly followed, assure believers that their soul will go to heaven when they die. The incentive of going to heaven, and fear of God cause believers to abide by the moral virtues assigned to them, thus inflicting some kind of moral order in society. In the case of non-believers, there won’t be a God or heaven until there is natural reason to persuade them otherwise. Since life itself does not necessarily provide more rewards for actions that are morally right over actions that are morally wrong, it would seem logical to assume that the non-believers have no incentives to act on what is morally right. I am not a believer of God or any particular religion, but that does not mean that I am lacking any particular moral virtues and acting on everything that is morally wrong. I believe in karma, and that karma alone can give me the incentives necessary to act on what is morally right, whether a belief in God is present or not.

Karma is a law of moral causation that states that nothing happens to me that I do not for some reason or other deserve. In other words, it is my actions in the past that determine the events in the present, and it is my actions in the present that determine the events of the future. Every choice I make, moral or immoral, constitutes to karma. If I want auspicious events upon me, I would act on what is morally right to create good karma in the future and vice versa. I do not need to fear or believe in God in order to act morally right, because karma provides the incentives to do so. In its ultimate sense, karma is the volition of good and evil, and I am in charge of making the best choice, because whichever I chose will determine my fate at a later time.

I do not have an agenda against believers in God, but I do want to point out the common ground that karma creates for believers and non-believers to act morally. Essentially, whatever goes around comes around so whether belief in God is present or not, people must act accordingly for their best interest. Karma simply provides the foundation to find similarities upon people of different beliefs instead of focusing on the differences to attack each other.