Allie - Santee, California

I believe in hugs. For all occasions a hug is most appropriate. In my opinion a hug is an expression of your feelings through action instead of words.

In the past year, I have been the giver and receiver of a million and one hugs. Beginning with a hug to welcome the new year all the way to wishing my brother a Merry Christmas the morning of, and everything in between. As a graduating student, starting her first year in college, the power of a simple hug has never seem so relevant.

On graduation day alone I probably received half of the million hugs. From the hug my mother gave me to congratulate me on graduating with honors first thing in the morning, to the many friends I hugged out of excitement at the realization that we were finally done with high school and beginning our lives as college students. Not to mention the parties to which hugs were exchanged among friends and family as a show of pride and congratulations. Summing up the night with a group hug of between my three best friends and me as a cap of a great night and the past four years together.

Unfortunately, with the happiness of exiting high school came the sadness of leaving the only home I have ever lived in, friends I have grown up with, and a family I could not live without. The night before I left for college I had said good-bye to the one friend that always understood me. Our hug that particular night was unlike any other. It seemed to never end, for neither one of us wanted to let go, and represented the love we have for each other, the amount to which we will miss each other, and the declaration that even though we will be miles apart our friendship will never end. By that point, I had given countless farewell hugs each one significant to the relationship between me and the other person, but no hug compared to the embrace between my mother and I. After lugging all my stuff into my new dorm and spending the weekend preparing me for the year to come, my mom wrapped her arms around me and assured me that I would do great things in college and that she will always love who ever I become. The sense of security, love, and completion from a simple hug gave me the courage to finally taking that step to start my journey.

Now I have been in college for a little over a quarter and have adjusted to college life, but on nights when I miss home I want nothing more than a big comforting hug from my mother. A wise woman once told me that there is nothing like the hug from your mama to take all your problems way.