Lauren - Alameda, California

My phone’s buzzing, Rolando’s calling me, from his girlfriend’s house in New Mexico, for our monthly chat. “Aww, Lauren, what’s wrong?” he asks after noticing something is obviously troubling me.

“It’s time for a change. I want to be happy. I want to really, be truly happy,” I plead.

I believe that happiness is something that you create. Finding that inspiration that occurs in your day-to-day life is what makes life worth living. It’s time that I learn how to embrace what I have in my life and stop focusing on everything that does, can or might go wrong. The stress that I’ve been putting on myself is my biggest hurdle that I want to learn how to overcome. I want to learn how to look past all that is bad and be able to focus on everything that is wonderful in my life.

My entire life I’ve been taught to be structured, to think first, and to be organized, to act like an adult. Entering the age of adulthood, beginning college, 18 and away from home, I feel like I missed out on the exploration, the trials, and the fun of being a kid. Changing the habits and ways of thought that have taken over the last 18 years of my life, is not an easy task. This is something that I want to start, a change that I want to make, something that I want to work on, beginning now.

Happiness is your own creation, this I believe. This is why I want to begin changing my way of thought and my way of life now, and begin creating my happiness. I’m tired of waking up in the morning afraid of what might go wrong, or what disappointments may be waiting for me. I want to be able to crawl out of bed and think it’s a beautiful day, I wonder what’s new out there for me to see, to learn, to explore. It’s the simple things in life that I want to be able to see and appreciate in order to enjoy my life.

“Let’s come up with a plan to help you be happy,” Rolando suggests, supportive and excited, as always.

Working in baby steps, my goal is to find this happiness, and really make it a way of life. Month One: finding the silver lining to every struggle and challenge that I may encounter and focus on the positive, forget about any negatives.

The root of true happiness in my life begins with being happy with who I am, and the way I think about my life. It’s about finding that positive perspective. I believe that by being happy with those aspects that make up my life I can find happiness with others, in doing the things that I love and in my life. I can create my own happiness by learning to accept life and everything that it hands me.