Coby - Ivins, Utah

Being a student in college, I know the importance of performing mentally at a high level everyday. A student spends just about every waking minute of every day either in class, studying, writing papers, researching, assembling projects, or any other related learning activity. It is required that a student be able to carry out these activities in order to have any hope of doing well academically. There is also a need to perform physically well, whether for a sport, just to stay in shape, or just to have some fun.

It has been in my experience that I have learned one of the most underrated, yet most important things that contributes to my being able to mentally and physically do my best everyday. I say underrated because most people don’t realize just how important it. Some might even see it as a waste of time! I am talking about sleep. I believe that being well rested is one of the best things you can do for yourself if you want to achieve your full potential academically or otherwise.

I have seen the effects of being sleep-deprived and I have also seen the effects of getting a full night’s sleep and being well rested, all through personal experience. I have come to this conclusion: I perform better when I go to bed no later than ten and get at least eight hours of sleep as opposed to going to bed at four and getting three hours of sleep.

For example, one night I stayed up all night studying for an exam I had the next morning. Come test time, I was finding it very hard to focus on what my professor was saying and even harder to concentrate on the exam. When I got my test back and was a little disappointed at my grade, considering I hadn’t slept in order to attain all the information for it. I decided for the next exam, I would change up my strategy.

It is the night before exam number two and I’m studying. This time, however, I will not stay up all night. I have decided to go to bed at a decent hour – ten – and wake up early if necessary. I wake up at six and get a little extra studying in before test time. In class, I can focus on my professor and when I get my test, I feel like I still know all the information but this time I can concentrate on what I am writing. Needless to say, my grade on this test was much better than my first test grade.

It was from that moment on I decided to never again ignore the idea of getting enough rest. I have adopted it as one of the most important things I can do for myself in order to achieve my full potential and I hope that next time you have a test, you will consider getting enough rest beforehand in order to help yourself do well.