Nicole - San Luis Obispo, California

I believe in wishing upon a star. Every time I see a star blaze across the night sky, my hearts skips a beat and I squeeze my eyes tight. The Jiminy Cricket in my head starts to serenade me—“Anything your heart desires will come to you.”

With a blink of an eye, a ball of fire descends into the unknown. My heart longs to be reunited with four individuals who changed my life in such a short period of time. No longer would we be spread out across the globe; rather, I will walk into the apartment knowing that I will hear their voices and see their faces. Instead of waking up in my dorm room, I will wake up on the floor, groggily glance around, and see them sleeping right next to me. Life would return to those crazy summer days. My days would be wasted away at work while my nights would be filled with laughter, random adventures, and of course, minimal sleep. I would be with the ones who were destined to enter into my life. Together, nothing in the world could break us.

I wish to wake up in a house where my best friend lives right next door. We can sit outside in my backyard and laugh about old memories, such as the time when we held our own Rose Parade or the countless times we played tag until the darkness consumed us. We could then walk to our comfort zone—the park. There, the two of us could sit on our usual swings and ponder the meaning of life. The one person who knows every detail about my life and every jagged edge of my personality would be ten feet away, instead of two hundred miles.

A point of light splits the heavens into two. I wish for an answer. I dream that tomorrow, I will receive by a phone call from my mother. She will be screaming ecstatically, “He is alright! Your father is fine!” Maybe a different conversation will ensue. “Nicole, the doctors finally know what is wrong with him.” Whichever phone call it is–blissful or somber–I so desperately need an answer. I simply need to know.

What if my vessels of wishes become lost in the infinite universe? What if I am left with disappointment? I wish I could remain young and innocent instead of being the pessimistic adult that society has forced me to become.

I see one last glowing, mystifying shooting star. I close my eyes and wish one last thing—to wish forever upon a shooting star.