Alexandra - San Luis Obsipo, California

I believe that reality TV shows should be based on real life events or include real life stories. Over the past couple years I have become a reality TV fanatic. I can always find a show to get sucked into, but I have noticed lately that everything I watch or everything that is on the TV is called ‘reality TV’ and it is not even reality.

For example, I have been a fan of Grey’s Anatomy since it first aired. I watch it religiously and sometimes more than once. Over time I have come to gain respect for this show and its creators more and more. I have learned that Grey’s Anatomy is based on real life situations. Yes, I know the whole character interaction is written by producers but the overall stories are based on real people. People who deserve to be recognized for the hard and life changing things they have been through. I know it is hard with a medical show or a law show to be exactly like real life, but some of us will never really experience some of these things so it helps us to understand it.

Another show I have come to fall in love with is Extreme Make-over Home Edition. It’s on every Sunday night and of course it’s a show that ABC has created. Every week I watch the ‘design team’ send a family on vacation, and while they are gone, they recreate their home. It’s amazing to hear the hardships these families have been through and then in just one week watch hundreds of people help to change their life. The best part about the show is at the end when the house is revealed to the family and then they find out that the mortgage I has been paid, utilities paid for a year, college funds set up. I have even seen this show travel to New Orleans after the tragic Hurricane Katrina devastated the area. The show went to help as many people as they could rebuild their homes or relocate. It is amazing what people will do to help one another.

I think it inspires me to want to help other people. It reminds me everyday that life could be harder and to be thankful for everything I have been given. So tomorrow when I sit down to relax in front of the TV, I will try my best to find something of value instead of settling for crappy TV. Maybe watching something of value will help me to do something more rewarding with my time then get sucked into so called ‘reality TV’.