Grant - Little Rock, Arkansas
Themes: golden rule

“Do unto others as you would have them do unto you,” who hasn’t heard that more times than he can count? But how often do we let that Old English style of writing stand in the way of absorbing the pure wisdom behind it? Christian or not, so much can be gained from dwelling on this idea, which is why I have chosen it as the cornerstone of my philosophy. Therefore this I believe: Even though life is unpredictable and bad things will happen to you, if you treat others with respect and follow the golden rule, you will find true satisfaction in your life.

An experience I had where I was able to employ this philosophy happened only weeks ago, and it was one that makes me genuinely happy. It was freezing cold on that cloudy January afternoon when I saw a homeless man walking down the sidewalk wearing a ball cap, old clothes and a trash bag with holes ripped in it for his arms and head. I was on my way to best buy and noticed him humbly walking toward the bus stop in the bitter wind. I circled the block and found him waiting on the cold bench. I threw the Jetta into park, hopped out, and gave the man an extra hoody I had in my backseat as well as a really warm fuzzy Russian hat I had bought the previous year as a joke. I drove to best buy, and I can’t think of any word to portray just how happy I was to see that scrawny old man wearing that huge furry hat as I drove back past him, knowing that I had made a difference.