Kevin - Little Rock, Arkansas

Crack! I keyed my mike and told my team that the boat was clear of snipers and that they could move up. “Good work, Shadow. Move on and take up another sniper point”. In case you are wondering, yes, I’m playing a videogame. My team leader told me to keep moving and keep my eyes out for trouble. As I was heading to my next position I remembered an old saying that I used to think about when I was a kid in Oklahoma: “Keep your friends close and your enemies closer”.

Back when I lived with mother I used to have a lot of people who hated me for who and what I was. I was a geek back when I was younger. Guess I still am when it comes down to it. I also liked to go above and beyond what was asked of me so I that I could do better in school. I was smaller than I should have been, and nicer than people usually expected from someone who got pushed around a lot. Some of the bigger kids in the upper classes used to push me around because of my size. So to counter this I got closer to them as friends and figured out when the others were planning on hurting me or doing something else to me. But I did have some good friends back in Oklahoma. They would look out for me when I could not watch out for myself. I always liked having them close, but I enjoyed it even more when I could get close to those who hated me.

All my life I have loved to play videogames, especially the role of a shooter. I like to work with different people around the world. However, just like in real life, you can make enemies along the way. Thanks to modern technology, however, if you get close enough to the enemy, your mike can pick up on what they are saying. I can then relay that information to my teammates. Usually, though the enemy will pick up on my mike, come over, and give me what I deserve for sneaking around. Just like in real life, you want to get close to the enemy to find out what they are planning, but like any espionage you usually get caught. Having friends is also a plus for any shooter. And this I believe… “Having your Friends close But your enemies closer” is a great philosophy to have.