Ryan - San Francisco, California

I believe that we spend too much time watching our figure, counting calories and looking in the mirror. I hate it when people go around calling people FAT, although I have no objection to the term PHAT. Every once in a while, I find myself running on the treadmill wondering, “Why am I doing this to myself? I could be enjoying my life and getting fat, but here I am obsessed with being PHAT.”

Growing up I always heard, it’s not about how we look on the outside; it’s what’s on the inside that counts. Yet since finally joining the ranks of adults, I feel as though my peers have become shallower than before.

Talking with my friends, we’ve come to the conclusion that a girl who doesn’t need make-up to look good is so much hotter than a girl who OD’s on it. Although, I must admit, some people could use a little make-up here and there. And there it is the shallowness in all of us. Why can’t we just accept the way people look without judging them?

Imagine the time we’d save if we didn’t worry about what to wear and what to do with our hair. I only wish I didn’t get butterflies when contemplating an important first impression.

Yet how can we deny nature. Even in the wild, appearance is employed to attract mates. The fact is, if you’re not attractive, life is rough, unless of course you’re -ber rich. But you hardly ever see a billionaire who can’t afford to fix his or her image. So I guess there aren’t really any ugly rich people walking around.

So why do we spend so much of our lives stressing about our looks? Maybe our appearance will one day land us our dream job. It’s true that beautiful people command more attention than their less fortunate peers. Is it fair? No, but yet no one is really fighting to change the pecking order in our society. In reality, with television shows like Extreme Makeover, Doctor 90210, and so on, we’ve begun to cement an ideal of shallowness within our society.

It seems like the only solution to our obsession with exterior qualities is to go blind. Maybe Islam was on the right path by covering up the bodies of its females, but in all fairness we should probably cover up everyone, because shallowness is a two-way street.

I used to think it was okay to be FAT as long as you were happy with whom you were. But now I realize that if you don’t measure up to a certain standard, people will never let you be happy.