Laura - West Lafayette, Indiana

Right Where I’m Meant To Be

I have come to believe that making choices, right or wrong, is simply destiny’s way of prolonging what we are meant for. The journey can be just as rewarding as the destination, whatever that may be.

When the time came for me to choose a college, I had no idea what I was doing. It seemed like everyone was getting huge scholarships and planning their futures like they were born to do it. Yet, here I was, completely uncertain about what I wanted to do for the rest of my life. It wasn’t that I didn’t have any interests – I loved my art classes. I would say I’m best at using my creativity, rather than solving math problems or studying photosynthesis. Engineering, pharmacy, architecture; majors that would make parents say “ooo” and “ahh,” and me say “uhh.” I knew I could never make a living with an art degree, no living I wanted anyway, so I chose a financially-sound field of study, food science. My talent was pushed to the side and I began focusing more on what was ahead, rather than what I was leaving behind.

Once freshman year began, I was thrown right into chemistry and biology. I had done fine in these subjects in high school, but taking classes at one of the top colleges in the country was totally different. I hated lectures, I couldn’t do the homework, and it took all I had to simply pass the courses. All of my fellow food scientists were so fascinated and involved in the food industry, and I found myself saying, “What’s the big deal? It’s food.” I became so exhausted from forcing myself to like something and pretending to be interested. It was then that I decided I had to gear my studies toward my creativeness.

When the time came to register for spring classes, I began looking at other curriculums. I was told to look for classes that I would enjoy and not to think so much about the future. I came across retail management, a concentration that contained statistics, economics, English, and communications. I thought these classes would give me experience for a wide range of jobs While not knowing what exactly would come about after getting this degree, I went with it. Now I was excited to begin the second semester, despite my uncertainty.

Now that I’ve began my new curriculum of classes, I could not be happier. I actually look forward to attending my classes, and I no longer dread studying or doing homework. In being so happy with the classes, I am confident that I will be happy for life. This experience has taught me to enjoy the ride, and in doing so I will receive the most satisfaction. It took something I detest for me to see what I really love, and now there is no uncertainty at all. I feel that the choices I have made were, in a sense, the best thing that could have happened and I am exactly where I should be, and that is the best feeling in the world.