Anne - Madera, California

Head, heart, hands, and health. These four Hs are something that I strongly believe in. I have been a member of my local 4-H club for 10 years, the majority of my life as I am now almost 19. This organization has shaped who I am, has taught me many things, has allowed me to meet many people, and is something that will always be a part of me.

“I pledge my head to clearer thinking,” I have learned many lessons through 4-H, not just trivial things like anatomy of livestock or grain identification, but life lessons; lessons about caring for life and dealing with death when working with breeding projects of rabbits and horses. I have learned about life and death when raising and selling market hogs, lambs, steers, and pens of rabbits. I have learned to think about things differently throughout my years in 4-H, to think as a leader and to look at things from all angles.

“My heart to greater loyalty,” I have learned to be strong, and to never give up, once I put my mind to something. I have learned to push to complete that goal no matter what. As a member I learned to be loyal to my leaders; to listen and learn from their knowledge and experiences. As a teen leader and club officer I had to be loyal to my members by serving them to the best of my ability and make sure that they were successful with their projects and reached their goals. This was very challenging especially when I had my own projects to work on, but had and obligation to help my members.

“My hands to larger service,” I have come to love and value community service opportunities. My community has given so much to me throughout my life from bids on my market animals to sponsoring me in my quest for Clovis Rodeo Queen to awarding me scholarships to attend college. Through 4-H I have been able to give back to my community by helping businesses and organizations with events and fund raisers, as well as singing Christmas carols at the convalescent home and bringing smiles to patients’ faces. I have learned that community service is a great way to spend time with friends and to meet new ones.

“And my health to better living for my club, my community, my country, and my world.” Through 4-H I have grown up always striving to be a better person, to be able to better serve my club, to find a way to help out, to make our society a fun place to live, to teach youth about these great lessons, and to share my experiences with them. I am in school to become an agriculture teacher and want to also volunteer as a 4-H leader so that I can continue to help 4-H “make the best better” as their motto says. I believe that making the best better starts with four simple words: head, heart, hands, and health.