Carmel - Chelan, Washington

Learn: verb-To acquire knowledge of or skill in by study, instruction, or experience.

From the first time I touched that hot iron, the one my mom warned me not to touch, to fourth grade when long division seemed so difficult, I have been learning. When I realized the pedal on the left was the brake and the one on the right was the gas, I was learning. I’ve been learning from the day I fully understood that Jesus loved me more than anyone on this Earth; to the day I realized my parents might actually be right about more than just one thing.

I believe in the opportunity to learn.

So often we try to find shortcuts in life; by cheating on tests or homework, only putting in enough effort just get by, or disregarding advice from elders. In the end, is it us who benefits? So many people rush through life like it’s a race. Whenever an opportunity arises, we immediately try to avoid it with an absence of effort or thought.

I believe in life-long learning.

I am going to learn until the day I die; from preschoolers who want to be firefighters, teachers, and police officers without the thought of money crossing their minds. I want to learn about the years before me, when a coin on the street would buy more than just a coke®. What is the point of living if I am no more knowledgeable today than yesterday?

I believe in learning from experiences.

A mistake is only a mistake when a lesson hasn’t been learned. I believe that it takes failure to become successful. I love to be completely embarrassed by a mistake I have made and learn from it, then a week later witness someone else learn the same lesson as I. Our world revolves around perfection and competition. The smarter more elite seem to prevail, but I think differently. The one who takes the most advantage of an opportunity to learn, excels from experiences, and continues to learn is, in my opinion, the real winner.

I believe knowledge is the one thing no one can ever take away.