Russ - Lakeville, Massachusetts
Themes: children

Because of my many years of experience advocating for and working with children and their families I believe that every child is a unique individual with matchless and emergent personalities as well as difficulties to overcome as they grow up in our fast changing society. Although they are different from each other I believe all children share some underlying and essential needs to be met as they grow into being teens, young adults and then adults. To be successful I believe involvement with loving and caring adults, good health, a strong education, safe neighborhoods and secure household finances give them an opportunity to be successful in life and to have identical opportunities to grow into the leaders of tomorrow’s families and communities.

I believe this so strongly and yet I am saddened that I see, read or hear about everyday life situations that subtracts one or more of these basics from too many children. I do realize that government can’t do everything, but it can and should help develop families’ abilities to deal with some of the ongoing challenges they face on a day to day basis. I believe churches, community organizations both organized and grass roots. Civic organizations, schools and individuals are challenged each day to do what they can to support effective public policies to help people, especially young people acquire the opportunities they need to succeed. I believe if it benefits and is good for children and their families, we should be there and do what we can to provide ongoing opportunities with loving and caring individuals, good health, a strong education, safe neighborhoods and secure household finances. If we want to help change our society on a whole it begins with a choice to change what we choose to do each day with, for and on behalf of children. We need to remember what others did for us when we were children that made us who we are today. I believe if our childhood was challenging as mine was then we especially need to be ongoing advocates because we know first hand how life is when one does not experience regular opportunities with loving and caring individuals, good health, a strong education, safe neighborhoods and secure household finances. We know the challenges we face and know what help or hindered us in our development. Because we know this then we can aid and assist others whom are faced with the same challenges, but it is up to us to decide to do this and if we turn away and do nothing to speak out, support or advocate our children and young people will they be willing to do it for us when we need it as aging people in our society. I believe it is something worth pondering and doing something about because it is never too late to do what we can to provide regular opportunities with loving and caring individuals, good health, a strong education, safe neighborhoods and secure household finances.