Jacob - aurora, Illinois

One Can Be Enough

I believe that one can be enough. I believe single parent homes can make it in this world. Too often there is a stereotype associated with single parents raising their children without a significant other. They often underestimate the potential of those families. They fail to realize how dedicated single parents can be.

Growing up in a single parent home was difficult, but a blessing. I was brought into this world knowing only one parent. My family consisted of my mother and divorced grandparents. To the outside world this situation was a disaster. My mother was a full time business woman, turned single parent. To our family, this was a small hiccup in what was going to be a challenging future.

I like to refer to my mother as the “real life” Murphy Brown; career woman, turned single parent business. Like her idol, my mother gave me every opportunity while providing the love and encouragement I desperately needed. This all while working a corporate job, mediating between my two bickering grandparents, and volunteering in the PTA. She had an extremely busy schedule to say the least.

Single parents have the opportunity to raise their child with values, morals, and a love for life, or the chance to handicap them into adulthood. There is no other parent to offset the shortcomings of a single parent. Children accept those shortcomings because they have no other choice. This is not to say it cannot be done. Single parents have been fighting for that normalcy in life and will continue to do so.

Despite those that are not destined to be parents, there are a select few who are cut out to be a top notch single parent. This elite category of out of the ordinary parents includes my mother. She will not receive an award, nor does she expect one; but those that have had the privilege to meet her know she deserves one.

There was no single moment where my mom showed exceptional qualities. Her days started at 6AM she would wake me up for school, drop me off at daycare around 7:30 and head to work. I would see her at 5:45 when she picked me up to go home. She would feed the dog, make dinner, get me in my soccer uniform, and then head to practice. Not only did she stay at the practice, she was the head coach.

Single parent families can overcome the struggles and obstacles. The naysayer’s may not fully understand, but they don’t have to. One day, that child will be as thankful as I am to have such a wonderful mom. To those that say it can’t be done, I say one is enough. And to my mother, I tip my hat. I don’t know how I’ll show my appreciation for everything you have done for me, hopefully this is a start.