Jackie - Cincinnati, Ohio

Voting makes a Difference

As I walked into the Urban League, in Avondale, my mind was spinning and my heart was pounding. I had just turned 18 on August the 31st and I was finally old enough to let my opinion be heard. Unlike most people at my age, I was excited to finally be able to vote. I registered as soon as the time to register came around. In November of 2006, I voted for the first time in the presidential election.

Many of the people I talk to and see every day, think voting is not important and they don’t bother going to the polls. Also, people say voting really doesn’t matter because the Electoral College does the decision making anyway. Although many people have this mindset, I am not one. I believe everyone who has the abilities and requirements to vote should take elections more seriously and see voting as not only a right but also a responsibility.

The United States is one of the few countries, which is a democracy. Voting should be a usual process for everyone. Unfortunately, most people do not take advantage of the opportunity of being heard and making a difference. I believe we are all equal and everyone’s opinion should be heard in some way.

I have always been the type of person who wants to be heard. Also, ever since I can remember, I thought voting was important. Even in small situations as a school class election, voting is important. I ran for class vice president in sixth grade and I did not win. I lost the election by about four votes. After awhile, I heard some of my friends say they did not vote and that’s when I started to think that if they would have voted then maybe I would have won.

Even though that was just a class election, voting is still very important whereever it takes place. After my first voting experience, I went to work and told everyone about my voting experience. My manager told me she was happy for me but then she told me she was a registered voter but voting wasn’t really important to her and she did not even want to vote. My face dropped. I told her voting was important and without voting for the right person for the position, our country, city, or even state could be a total wreck. She started rambling about the Electoral College. I told her they base their decision on our votes and our vote really does make a difference.

After awhile, she started to really think about the voting process and decided to vote. Many people have this mindset, and I believe with the help of other voters, those people would really have a change of heart.