Mary Jane - Saint Paul, Minnesota
Themes: purpose

Why I Believe Everything is Connected

There is a purpose for everything that has and will happen in my life. This includes small things like how long it takes to get from place to place, to who I will end up marrying, or what college I go to. Every detail of what goes on in my everyday life will effect what the future will look like for me. First, some of the smallest decisions can affect your life in the long run. For example, one day my mother decided to have lunch with a friend — little did she know that the conversation that would take place around that table would determine the foundation of her daughter’s academic future. I was in preschool at this time and my mother was contemplating on what school she should send me to – and although she had considered many schools – had not found one that seemed like the best fit for me. This friend of hers mentioned a year-round elementary school called Tri-District, and my mother decided to send me there the following year for kindergarten. If my mother didn’t have lunch with her friend that day, I would not have the same friends, interests, knowledge, or beliefs that I do now. If my mother didn’t have lunch with her friend that day, I could be a completely different person. Who knows, I could be wearing brightly colored polos with Hollister jeans and listen to nothing but Fergalicious all day long.

Also, you can rise from your mistakes and hard times. When you go through hard times, you come out a stronger person. The old saying of ‘what doesn’t kill you only makes you stronger’ is completely right. Another thing is that the greatest hardships can bring you the greatest accomplishments and relationships. When you feel what it’s like to be at an all-time low, it gives you the ability to rise to something greater than what you went through. It gives you a better opportunity to appreciate all of the good times and cherish them.

Another thing is one little coincidence can change your life more than you realize. For instance, I may have never even talked to my boyfriend of nearly a year if I hadn’t talked to my cousin Gil on Christmas Eve of 2005. As we were chatting, I mentioned the school that I went to, and he asked me if I knew someone named Anthony Gonzales. At the time, I had no idea who he was talking about. When I went back to school from winter break I asked a friend of mine if they knew who Anthony was. My friend pointed him out to me, and that is when we talked for the first time. Everyone’s life fits together like a jigsaw puzzle – and our jigsaw puzzles join up with other’s jigsaw puzzles to create something amazing that we call life.