Jillian - West Lafayette, Indiana

I believe in the A-team. Hannibal, B.A., Howling Mad, and The Faceman knew how to get the job done right! They fought the toughest criminals, while simultaneously on the run for a crime they did not commit. What more could you want from a television show? Alright, I’ll admit that it was a little before my time. I have never actually even seen an episode. For me though, the A-team is a way of life. They represent friendship and new beginnings. I am not sure where I would be without them.

The summer after my senior year, all I could think about was college. I was ready to start life at Purdue University. However, after living in the same place my entire life, moving somewhere else was quite a daunting task. My fear about leaving things behind was unwarranted though. There were familiar faces all around campus. Yet, as the weeks went on, running into people I knew only reminded me of life back home. It felt like everyone, but me, was moving on. I soon decided that the best way to get acclimated to college life would be to join a club.

This proved to be a lot easier said, then done. There are over 630 student organizations and clubs at Purdue. I joined the Outing Club and spent the worst weekend of my life, hiking through the wilderness of Kentucky. Then I joined a volunteer network, where I pulled weeds out of a dense forest until my hands were bleeding. Did I mention it rained the entire time? With many other similar and disappointing results I began to give up hope on ever finding the club that was right for me. That was about the time that I got a letter welcoming me to join Tomahawk. Tomahawk is a coed service and leadership honorary fraternity. Students are selected to join based on outstanding service.

Something about this organization seemed different. You could tell that all the members were very comfortable around each other. Many of them said they were friends inside and out of Tomahawk; exactly what I was looking for. Tomahawk was different from the other clubs in more than one way. In order to become an active member each participant has to go through a rigorous pledging process. My pledge class, of 19 students, had been dubbed the A-team. For me, the A-team has made all the difference in my life at Purdue. When I first came here I was immediately ready to go back home. By pledging and becoming a member of Tomahawk, I found where I belong at Purdue. It turned out to be what I needed all along.

I have found my niche on campus and a group of great friends. People who, in just a few months, have helped me get started in the right direction. If it was not for the A-team I probably would have ended up back at home or worse, at Indiana University!