Patty - Chambersburg, Pennsylvania

This I believe…

I believe that God is an all loving God. I believe that God does not give us cancer or any other hardship. God’s plan is a wonderful plan. But humankind has made some devastating choices. Thus we live in a world that includes war, disease, and death. This is not God’s plan. God does not give us the difficult times in our life. God does give us the love and strength to endure them.

God remains present. His presence means there is always hope. There is always the possibility of good coming from bad. It is our life’s work to make choices that will redirect this path that humankind has set. Everyday we have choices to make. Some days they seem small and inconsequential, other days we are faced with major decisions that we know will affect the course of our life. Yet, even the seemly small and inconsequential choices we make direct the course of our world. We are called to do what is good and right.

When you have faith, all things are possible.

I go into my first round of chemotherapy today with some bit of anxiety. These are pretty strong toxins that are needed to search and destroy any microscopic cancer cells that may have free floated from the tumor. But it is what needs to be done. So instead of focusing on my anxiety, I will focus on my thankfulness.

I thank God that He has given humankind the intellect to be able to discover treatments and cures for cancer and other diseases. I thank God for people who have made medicine their life’s work. I thank God for parents who have raised kind and loving children who build up my spirits. I thank God for people who know when it is time to make a phone call, send a card, write a note on my Care Page, send over a meal, give a hug, or lend a word of support. I thank God for a loving husband, children, sons-in-law, family, and friends.

I thank God that I am able to recognize the blessings that surround me. You are one of those blessings. I thank God for you.