Sara - West Lafayette, Indiana
Themes: work

I believe everyone should work for what they want. People have a tendency to appreciate something more when they have worked hard for it rather than when it has just been given to them. Society today has taught people they deserve to be given everything they want instead of working hard to achieve what they desire. Without working to earn their possessions, it makes them not appreciate what they have been given as much as they would otherwise and to not take care of them like they should. As our society advances, parents are earning more money and providing their children with more, teaching them to be given what they want instead of working for it.

However, this is not the case in my life. My parents taught me at an early age that if I wanted something I had to earn it myself through hard work. When I was a child my parents would give me a small allowance based upon the chores I did around the house. I valued my money and I also valued the items I bought because I had to work hard for them. I appreciated everything I worked for and didn’t take the items for granted.

I can remember in the summer on my tenth birthday, my grandparents gave me a go-cart. When winter came I left it outside in the snow. Since I was given my co-cart and I didn’t have to work for it, I didn’t treat it with the same respect and appreciation that I had for things I had actually worked for. By not having to spend my own money on my go-cart, I didn’t take care of it as much as I should have and it isn’t in as good of condition as it should be.

An example of something I worked hard to buy with my own money would be my clothes. I don’t lend them out to my friends never to be seen again; nor do I let them get stains or holes. In other words, I make my clothes last as long as possible. For example, when I wash them I make sure to use cold water as well as stain catchers that remove the extra dyes from the water. I worked hard, earned these clothes and many other things by working two jobs during high school instead of just being given everything.

By working for what you want you learn a lot of valuable life lessons. It teaches you to be responsible and take care of your possessions. By doing this your things will last longer and your money will go farther as well. Also, you will know what to do when there isn’t anyone to just give you what you need or want, you can do it yourself. I have learned from experiences throughout my life teaching me to work for what I want and not just let everyone give it to me. I believe in working for what you want.