Sarah - Chelan, Washington

There are only a handful of things on earth required to sustain a human life. Water, food, and oxygen are a few, but another sometimes forgotten element crucial to life is relationship. Human touch and communication is one of the most important factors to survival. There’s a reason babies die simply from the lack of attention. It’s because human relationship, just like water and sunshine, is a basic necessity of every living person. When I was little, I was my daddy’s little princess, my mommy’s special helper. They kissed me goodnight and gave me high fives when I tied my shoes right. I always knew my parents loved me while I was growing up, which helped me grow into the happy, thriving person I am today. For some it wasn’t their parents, but another relative, or a friend. Everyone has had relationships that are important to them.

I’m lucky to have been blessed with many loving relationships in my 17 years. Parents who love and support me, a brother and sister I’ve shared many happy years with, a best friend who happens to be my boyfriend, and a handful of other special people who make life that much better. I love each one of them in all sorts of ways, and wouldn’t be the person I am today without them.

Unfortunately, my relationships with these people are challenged every day. My best friend and I have gotten to the point where we had to create a secret word to let us know when we’re getting on the each other’s nerves. My boyfriend and I hear all the time how we’re too young to be so serious, about all the things that could go wrong and how it’s never going to last. I find myself constantly defending the relationships in my life. So why do I even bother if it’s so hard?

Because I believe, with all my heart, in fighting for the people I love. I believe that no person is complete without that genuine human bond, and that it should be fought for.

It would be so easy to breeze through life never getting close enough to really care about someone. On the other hand, it’s a daily struggle to maintain deeper relationships that really matter. When my mom and I are in tears because we’ve let our tempers get the best of us, I’m tempted to just say ‘screw it’ and walk out the door, but instead we sit down and find a way work it out. Sometimes the easiest solution in a relationship is to just give up, find a new one. But because of our basic need for true connection with people, the life-long fight for the ones closest to me is so worth it.

I recently finished an inspirational book, and the very last line in a chapter dealing with the importance of relationships simply read, fight for them. And that is what I plan to do.