Johnna - Solon, Ohio

I believe in haunting eyes and ghostly skin. Human beauty isn’t every thing we think it is, human beauty is everything we never thought it was. Girls that get called ugly or fat are the ones that shine. They are the ones that are truly beautiful in a way that many people have not yet begun to accept. When we think beauty is defined; the girls we think are ugly are the ones that rebel. They are the ones that grab their pitchforks and march blindly into the night. All we can do is watch as the little girl with red eyes and porcelain skin stops and brushes off her dress. Maybe the world will never accept every kind of beauty, but all we can do is try.

I agree with Jane Yolen when she said” I am thinking of a fairy tale that is not yet written, for a teller not yet born, for I listener not yet conceived, for a world not yet won.” Perhaps this is true in the sense that beauty, every shape and size is not yet accepted as beautiful. We are tightening up the lines of what we think is beautiful and what we think isn’t worth anything. Perhaps another day, one very far into the future, the world will undo its “size 0 only” views and broaden its range.

Beauty is disappearing as girls are trying to be stick thin and doe eyed. Yesterdays beauty queens are today’s weight watcher representatives. In today’s world Marilyn Monroe would just be another pathetic overweight wannabe model in her size 12 figure. As woman become thinner and thinner they move from the curves of femininity to the straight lines of masculinity. In that we lose a part of ourselves, the part of ourselves that vanishes is the unique beauty of being a woman.

With the restrictive concepts of “beauty” comes the inability to see beauty everywhere we go, and in every person we see. No longer do we see each other for our own distinct beauty, we only see if we measure up to beauties high standards. Can we see Anne’s beautiful hair, instead of her crooked nose? The danger that is before us is the loss of Anne’s beauty by our narrow line of vision. Let’s take off our blinders and open our eyes so wide that we become children again.

I believe that beauty is around us, in us, and awaits our awakening of true human-ness. The ability to let go of the expected attitudes and to trudge forward (sometimes alone) to see beauty in ourselves, others, and the world we live in. This is the challenge before us. To see the unique beauty that each of has been given and to run as fast as we can away from conformity. Let’s sprint to tomorrow’s world with an open eye for the beauty of the little albino girl, or the aged lady on the bench or our own ugliness that we try so desperately to hide.