Leah - barrington, Illinois
Themes: change

Moving Day

I believe that everything happens for a reason. Whether it is something horrible or something phenomenal, it happens because it was supposed to. I’m a firm believer in the idea that your past creates who you are today. Every choice you make, each event in your life, and every person you encounter make you, you.

I grew up with an extraordinary group of friends that I could count on for anything and everything. As summer was beginning to come to an end, my best friend had a bonfire. As we all sat around the flames we reminisced on the summer we had just spent together. It was times like that with those people by my side that I felt absolutely invincible.

That night I got home and my parents called me into the kitchen. “We’ve been thinking about this a lot lately, Leah, and I’ve decided to take a job up north. We’ll be moving as soon as possible because school is about to start,” my dad said.

I sat there in sheer disbelief. I didn’t even respond because I was in such shock. I couldn’t comprehend those words. “Up north…new job…new school?” A week or so passed and we were all packed up. Those boxes were ready for the journey up north but I was holding on as long as I could. I sat with my two best friends. Finally it was time to go, in the car I turned to see my other halves, embracing and crying on my driveway, waving us off as we pulled out.

I started a new high school. I seemed fine on the outside but I didn’t think I would ever be as happy or as content as I once was.

It’s five years later now. I went from being a lonely, little freshman, not knowing a soul as I grazed the hallways of 3,500 students, to a bubbly cheerleader with an amazing group of friends.

Even little details, like the high school I transferred to proved a positive change. I often wonder if I’d be going to a different University? And then possibly I wouldn’t be in the same sorority, I might not have the same major and I sure wouldn’t be writing this paper. Everything is open for change. Your past creates your future. It’s as simple as that.

People, events, choices. They all form you, your personality, and your future. Even the worst of events can make you a stronger person. Let life lay out the pieces, even when you don’t think they will fit, sometimes fate can surprise you. You still have a lot of life left; don’t dwell on the past, don’t worry about your future, because everything is falling into place just as it should. I believe that everything happens for a reason.