Abhishek - West Lafayette, Indiana

I Believe in Trusting My Instincts

I believe in trusting my instincts and doing what I believe is best for me. What makes me jump to a series of conclusions when I meet someone for the first time? How did I start walking or speaking for the first time? These questions pen down to just one answer: Trusting and believing in my instincts. That is what fuels me and spurs me on in those situations. This belief has gone a long way in making me a more confident and self-assured person. Trusting my instincts, as cliché as it might sound, breeds courage which in turn breeds perseverance; courage and perseverance to me are the twin passports to success. Trusting my instincts makes me take the right decisions in crunch situations. I tend not to think too hard about most things and this has helped me a lot in focusing solely on my goals and not going astray.

I distinctly remember an experience I had during my childhood. It happened on a pilgrimage while I was in South India. I was at a temple where it was necessary to have a dip in a lake before entering the temple as a token of respect for God. I was following the customary rituals before taking a plunge when I felt a weird chill creep up my spine. Something inside me was holding me back. It was surprising because this was neither the first time I was doing it nor had I ever felt this way in the same situation before. As I was about to get over this feeling and set foot in the lake, I saw a long snake swim right past me which I was later told, was venomous. I then realized that the instinctive spine-tingling, gut-wrenching feeling that had gripped me was a sign which meant that something was wrong. My belief in trusting my instinct prevailed.

The important thing that I have learnt from the above and many other experiences I’ve had over the years is that decisions taken carefully after a lot of thinking do not always work out our way. I sometimes feel that we need to trust our instincts and make snap judgments in order to make a successful decision. In conclusion, I would like to say that my instincts always seem to be telling me to do the right thing. They always guide me in the right direction even if it is not what I think is right. Consequently, I feel a lot more secure and hardly ever doubt any of my spontaneous instinctive decisions. I now have confidence in trusting whatever I instinctively believe in and doing what I believe is best.