Jenna - San Antonio, Texas
Themes: love

Love is not just for Fairy Tales

You hear about love all the time, from movies to books to music. Since we were children, all you hear about is love. In stories, such as Cinderella, Rapunzel, Snow White and the Seven Dwarves, and Sleeping Beauty, you’re bombarded with love. And how do all those stories end? With someone marrying their true love and living happily ever after. You start to think love is just one of those things you hear about in stories, but can never really happen in reality. I for one never gave the reality of love any thought, but I did believe it was out there. I just had to find it.

Growing up I had a pretty hard life. I had an abusive, brainwashing father, whose favorite pass time was torturing my sister and me. My mother didn’t and couldn’t find love either. I never saw or experienced love, for the majority of my life. So not receiving much love around me, I started to fall in love with the idea of being in love. I often dreamed of my prince charming that was out there waiting to save the poor damsel in distress, which just happened to be me. But all little girls dream that they’re Cinderella or some other fairy tale princess, so what’s so special about me? I wasn’t just dreaming about love, I was praying for it. I wanted to experience love. I wanted it so bad I could taste the sweet chocolaty taste melting in my mouth. As I grew older, I started to realize that there really was no such thing as a Prince Charming. Every prince charming I thought I had found turned out to be a frog in disguise, but I still didn’t give on my belief in love. Slowly, my belief of love became more of an obsession. All I really cared about was love. Was I to end up like Cinderella with the happy ending or the pumpkin who gets squashed in the end?

As my quest continued, I found that if I looked around me love did exist. It wasn’t just a happy ending it actually was real. I first discovered this when I went to eat with my family one night at Red Lobster. Sitting three tables away from my family, was an elderly couple. They were silently eating their dinner, occasionally looking up at one another and smiling. When they were finished, the elderly gentleman got up and pulled a walker from around the side of the table. His wife then took his arm and led him to the door in complete silence. Slowly the elderly gentleman opened the door for his wife, walker in hand and wobbled out behind her with the door swinging shut. As I watched them walk around the building to their car, I saw the wife gently kiss her husband on the cheek, making him blush and smile. After they had gotten into their car and left, I thought about the couple and what I had just seen. The fact that the couple had been together for what looked like years and that one simple kiss on the cheek could still make the elderly gentleman blush, boggled my mind. Then it hit me. That was love, real love. I had actually found evidence that my belief was not just a silly dream. Evidence that I had been longing for so long, the evidence that love did exist. That couple without saying a word had confirmed by childhood belief that love was real, was true.

That was three months ago. I never found out what happened to the elderly couple, but my belief about love still holds strong, even though I have never experienced love myself. When people ask my thoughts on love and happy endings, I embrace them and tell them that they’re out there, you just have to find them. I tell them it won’t happen right away, but it will happen, even if you have no experience with love. I might also suggest that they look to an elderly couple for some hope.

I believe that there is love in real life and that love is not just for fairy tales and happy endings, no matter what other people say. Maybe those who say that are still on their quest for love, I’m not sure. What I do know is that love is out there, and everyone can end up living happily ever after. I believe in love.