Elizabeth - Chelan, Washington

“We can do anything we want, as long as we stick to it long enough.” Helen Keller. When I was about six years old my cat ran away from home. I was very worried that I would never see it again. So every Sunday at Sunday school I would ask my teacher to pray that my cat would return home. I kept that up for two months as well as calling the local radio station to report that I was missing my Rascal orange and white cat. Soon the pastor’s son and others started to tell me that Rascal had died a long time ago, that it got ran over by a car, and I would never see it again. This of course always sent me home in tears. So one afternoon I decided to make a sign that red; lost cat, orange and white, call 682-5004. Sure enough that night I got a call from a neighbor who had been housing my cat for months.

I believe in persistence.

I believe persistence can get you places life. People might laugh at your dreams or aspiration, but, in my experiences, if you pursue your dream, you may be able to reach it and show those people that you can do it.

I am a cheerleader for my small high school. I love to cheer, and especially stunt. When I first decided to cheer I was laugh at by my ballet dance class they all thought that I was joking when I told them I was trying out. When I made the squad, of eight, I was very excited, but I learned fast that cheer wasn’t going to be easy. Our coach insisted on an hour of conditioning, for cheer, every practice! I never expected that for cheer. I also run in Cross Country so I know hard work outs. I can honestly say that our cheer squad is very difficult and requires a lot of hard work! As a freshman I was allowed to stunt and I picked up on it really fast I started doing stunts that the older cheerleaders had never done before or that they haven’t mastered till they were a sophomore. I was really good. However, people still made fun of me for doing something as “easy” as cheer. Some in my dance class never thought of me the same, like it was a sin to be a cheerleader. I thought that was ridiculous. However, I am sticking to it, persevering, no matter what people say about me.

I believe that perseverance can let you do anything. I have a horrible spelling problem. When I was in fourth grade I was told that I should be in a special education class room for English. So I did and it was so easy I could do all the work, but my spelling was unbelievably horrible. I finally got out of special education, because I found it to be miserable, but struggled a lot in the regular classes. Not to mention the humiliation of spelling bees in elementary school. My freshman year I was in a regular English class, I thought that it was simple and my teacher encouraged me to try to get into the Honors English class. To do that you had to write a paper without a computer or spell checks. I decided to try, but was not sure about the spelling. After all it wouldn’t hurt to try to get in. Well through all of my hard work and dedication, my practicing of spelling, I finally did it; I got into Honors English II. It was not easy and it is still really hard. I get laughed at almost every day in every subject and I am constantly humiliated by my horrible spelling. But I am also really proud of myself, for trying so hard to accomplish what everyone had always told me I couldn’t do.

There are many ordeals in life that we all face, but I believe that if we just pursue them, that we can all overcome them. Too many people just give up and stop trying, but what does that teach us? What does that show to our children, siblings, or young friends? Perseverance can make you feel good about yourself and doesn’t hurt anyone else.