Meisha - Chelan, Washington

I believe that people shouldn’t waste time on trying to be someone else, but they should ultimately focus on being their true selves.

Every class at school gives an opportunity for me to be eminent; whether it’s a creative art project that deals with shaping your picture around a story, or just simply writing out loud. I take these opportunities. I take them and grasp them with my determination and effort so I can cherish them in the end. The only problem is…I am only comfortable with sharing them with myself.

The teacher has just given us an assignment, and along with that, time to work. I sit, patiently waiting for my thoughts to combine and communicate, forming the perfect idea that would express my creativity and highlight my personality. As I stare off into space, not moving for moments, I begin to create my thought-out plan. My ideas are spilling onto the page.

I freeze. My heart starts to beat faster as I feel the sense of someone cowering over my shoulder, getting a hint of what I’m expressing. I stop working. My thoughts have stopped working together. I slowly start to pretend I am working my hardest, yet the only thing I’m trying hard to do is isolate my work in a disguised fashion.

They pass. My eyes relax from the battle of searching for clues. I take a deep breath and put my stuff away for later and think about why I was afraid.

For the past years, I had been afraid of who people might really think I am. I am myself. All my thoughts, hopes, dreams, looks, and feelings are my true self. Nothing can change that. That is who we are made to be. Not a copy.

I learned that being yourself and expressing your own feelings is what a human is in itself. I used to worry about what people would think of my work. Worrying would just extend the time it would take me to do projects and sometimes I didn’t have that much time. But now that I am relaxed and work as if I were by myself in a room, I get tons more done and people give me compliments which further boost my confidence and give me the ability to express myself even more. People will accept you for who you are. It’s a matter if they accept themselves for who they really are.

I am Meisha; I am seventeen years old; I love to read books by Orson Scott Card and draw fantasy scenes including fairies and elves. I believe in being your pure self. That is life; that is happiness; that is true.