Breann - West Lafayette, Indiana

All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them. Fulfilling dreams sometimes go unrealized. However, a few years ago, I proved to myself that chasing after my dream could become a reality.

In April of my eighth grade year, I admired a specific group of high school girls: the state-winning, dance team. My determination to be a part of this prestigious group of girls was undeniably high. I began my preparation for tryouts right away. I danced ten years prior, so I was confident. All I had to do was to wait for the middle of April for tryouts.

When the night of tryouts came, I did my absolute best. I would be notified by phone if I made the team. I wondered what my future held for me. Hours went by and no call. I didn’t make the team. The next morning I realized I wasn’t a dancer and just cried. My dream shattered; I now needed courage more than ever.

Courage was a quality I always desired and thought I could never have. Some people use their courage to strengthen themselves and pursue their dreams. I knew exactly what I needed to do. I did something spontaneous and tried out for cheerleading two weeks later. To my surprise, I made the team. I should have been more excited, but cheerleading wasn’t my first choice.

Within months, I became comfortable with my new friendships on the team. However, when I’d see the dance team perform at half-time, all the feelings of hope, anger, and envy came flooding back to me. That’s when it hit me; my passion was dancing. When freshman year came to an end, I chose to tryout for the dance team again. I felt indescribably nervous, because I was afraid of failure for the second time. I was told that I was a traitor. It was time to look fear in the face.

Most people are afraid of change and are content with what they have, but not me. I go after my dreams. I gathered up my courage and went for it. While waiting for the call, I was nervous, anxious, excited; you name it. At last, the phone rang; I made the team. Nine months later, I helped the team win their fourth consecutive, State trophy.

Had I not tried again, I wouldn’t have fulfilled my dream. You know, courage is the thing that teaches us to act on what we feel. I took a big chance. People are afraid to do something out of the ordinary, just like me. I achieved the ability to believe in myself and try my hardest. My transformation from not making the dance team, to trying out for cheerleading, then trying out for the dance team again was a result of courage. Today, I look back at that experience, and I am very thankful. I believe by having courage, I was able to pursue my dream.