Beth - Tulsa, Oklahoma

I believe in laughter. Throughout my life, I’ve faced different challenges. Whether it was coping with the death of a loved one, surviving a break-up, or battling depression, I have learned that laughter really is the best medicine.

A few years ago when my great uncle died, I was devastated. Even though I knew that his health was declining, I still couldn’t believe that he was actually gone. I remember for a bit after that I started watching sitcoms a lot more than I usually did. After being so tense and upset, it felt good to release some positive energy. Each day was a little bit better than the day before, and so when I had to deal with a brutal break-up later that year, I turned again to comedy. I watched my favorite movie (which happens to be the comedy “Some Like It Hot”) with my sister several times during the course of the first few days after my boyfriend and I split. Not only did the familiarity of the movie itself calm me down, but just being able to laugh made me realize that if I could be happy at that moment in the midst of my problems, then everything else would eventually fall into place. Especially at this point in my life as I’m struggling with depression on top of the stress that comes with going to college and making important, life-changing decisions, I try to find humor in everyday situations. Not only does it lift my mood during the day, but it also makes life as a whole more enjoyable. For instance, sometimes my best friend and I will simply sit around and say weird things back and forth to each other until we’re both laughing so hard that we can’t breathe. Laughing uncontrollably with her are some of the best memories I’ve ever had.

So basically, for me, laughter is something that I try to achieve everyday. Even if it’s just a grin when something funny or ironic happens, it gives me a little needed boost. I believe in laughter because it comforts me, but above all because it gives me the reassurance that everything will be alright because I am still capable of being happy.