Cameron - Chelan, Washington

This I Believe…

What if this was the last day you saw your friends? The last day you saw your parents? The last day you could laugh and enjoy yourself? What if today was the last day you were alive? Would you be satisfied?

I believe in truly enjoying every precious day you have on this Earth.

You never know when you might lose the chance to do what you enjoy. So I say live, be happy, make the best out of life. So many times we get caught up in the hustle and bustle of everyday life. We get stressed with due dates, pleasing friends, pleasing parents, pleasing teachers; that we forget about how lucky we are just to be here. How lucky we are to have the opportunity to live, to love, to laugh.

Take, for example, my great uncle Larry Maguire. He grew up in a small town being the eldest of his siblings: the leader. He was a star athlete and a well-liked classmate. He played football for Central Washington University and is now a part of their Hall of Fame. He also had a short stint with the professional football team known as the Denver Broncos. He coached wrestling for most of the rest of his life and built up an impressive record of 230-30 in matches at South Kitsap High School. He was successful enough to be inducted into the National Wrestling Hall of Fame. He was a strong, active, well-known, and involved individual. This past December, this great man, this strong man, passed away at the hands of the muscle deteriorating disease known as ALS or Lou Gehrig’s Disease. It slowly took over his body eventually reducing him to a bed-ridden state with a feeding tube for nourishment. His funeral gave me a time to reflect on his life and to also think about where mine was going. This is where I thought to myself; how would it feel to lead a successful, full life and suddenly have it taken away? Was I satisfied with how I’ve lead my life? Have I enjoyed myself? What do I really want?

The answer, for me, is to enjoy every possible moment that I am alive. Never let frustration, depression, or stress get to me. I say enjoy everything because when it is your time to look back, your time to go, what do you want to reflect on? The choice is yours.