Alberto - East Point, Georgia

We believe in Soul

Martha and Alberto

James Brown’s Home Going was a once in a life time funeral event. Imagine 8500 people dancing before a 24K gold open casket where , celebration, sorrow, and fulfillment sparkled easily from the Pharoah of Funk’s glittering shoes. the Soul Generals

laying down grooves of his performance set …one last time, his manager and longtime friend throwing a red cape over his body…one last time. If you had heard Derrick Monk singing “God Has Smiled on Me”, you would know he smiled on us too. Michael Jackson entered the house, narrow shoulders, supported by Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton on either side, goodbye Godfather.. MC Hammer busted out with uninhibited dance juju across the stage.

James had a shadow side, violence, addictions, so Dick Gregory said die free. James Brown hollered about being in the world, sometimes yearning in bewilderment, struggling to find meaning, he rose above heartbreak again and again,

He would find that Good Foot and we shook and felt a whole lot better . Imagine strange intimacy with 8500 people.

James Brown’s fifty-year career took us from the era of segregation through the civil rights movement and well beyond. He raised up black folks and opened up white folks. His voice proclaimed black pride and quelled race riots. Always a man of the people, he refused to “cross over”. In the days of segregation it was customary for black performers to play one show for whites and another for blacks, but James Brown refused to accommodate. He only played a show for blacks but whites were welcome to cross over and cross over we did. Millions of us got initiated into mysteries not available to whites at the time. He took us to the Bridge and once we crossed we would never be the same.

James Brown knew about going under and getting up.. We all do it too.

Spirit is universal, but soul is personal. It can be messy, dark and uneasy. We come to this realm animated with potency. we live on faith and experimentation. We find destiny through dark passages and resurface into sheer vivid power. We wake up to soul.

we find ourselves Uncovered with an Other just as Deep and Mysterious as we are: Shakin’ groovin’ Love machines.

James Brown rest in Peace.