Crista - Grand Blanc, Michigan
Themes: children

I believe that kids don’t need every high-tech, beeping, flashing, moving, and otherwise eye-catching toy that is out on the market. More importantly, I believe that we have become so caught up in this idea that we “need” to have the biggest, the best, and the coolest of everything that we forget the most important thing: kids don’t.

Just a few days ago, I watched my nearly two-year-old niece go to town on a makeshift “drum set” that we created by flipping some wooden coasters upside-down, setting a popcorn bowl on the floor, and finding a beat by pounding on the set with some wooden spoons from the kitchen drawer. To you or me, the sight of this homemade band set might look like some misplaced kitchen utensils and a giant, loud, mess. To Caitlyn, though, this was a cool toy that provided hours of entertainment. We pounded away with the spoons to the almost-tune of “Happy Birthday to You” and the ABCs, and she had a blast.

Give her a few blocks and she’ll create a house for the little koala magnets my mom keeps at her height on the fridge. Give her an inflatable mini soccer net and she creates the best game of hide-and-seek that she’s ever played. Give her a flower and she’ll insist that everyone in the family smells it at least ten times before moving on to another something-or-other that catches her eye. I think we can learn something from this very special two-year-old. I believe that we can take what we have, even if it’s not the newest, state-of-the-art thing that we think we “need,” and make it into the best we know.